Re: Question regarding indices - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve
Subject Re: Question regarding indices
Date
List pgsql-sql
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:08:00 -0400
> Von: Lew <noone@lewscanon.com>
> An: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
> Betreff: Re: [SQL] Question regarding indices

> On 09/11/2010 08:29 AM, Steve wrote:
> > I have a small question about the order of values in a query.
> > Assume I have a table with the following fields:
> >    uid INT,
> >    data BIGINT,
> >    hits INT
> > And an unique index on (uid, data). I use libpq C API to query
> > data from the table. The query is something like this:
> > SELECT uid,data,hits FROM mytable WHERE uid=2
> > AND data IN (2033,2499,590,19,201,659)
> >
> > Would the speed of the query be influenced if I would sort the data?
>
> What do you mean by "sort the data"?  Which data?

I mean sorting the values in the brackets. Instead of:
SELECT uid,data,hits FROM mytable WHERE uid=2 AND data IN (2033,2499,590,19,201,659)

I would then send this here:
SELECT uid,data,hits FROM mytable WHERE uid=2 AND data IN (19,201,590,659,2033,2499)

Off course this is a small dataset but the query usually has thousands of elements and not only the above 6 elements.

> > I can imagine that just querying a bunch of bigint would not make a
> > big difference but what about several thousand of values? Would sorting
> > them and sending the SQL query with ordered data influence the speed of
> the query?
>
> Send the query from where to where?

Sending the query from my application to the PostgreSQL server.

> Are you referring to a sort of the items in the IN subselect?

Yes.

> My guess is
> that sorting that won't matter but it's only a WAG.

What is "WAG"?

> --
> Lew

SteveB
--
Achtung Sicherheitswarnung: GMX warnt vor Phishing-Attacken!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/sicherheitspaket