Re: "private" installation of postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua J. Kugler
Subject Re: "private" installation of postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 07 September 2010, Scott Ribe elucidated thus:
> On Sep 7, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Personally, though, I think it's easier to change the default port
> > number and not worry about sharing /tmp.  Changing the port is a
> > good idea anyway to avoid any possible conflicts on shared memory
> > IDs.
>
> I was planning on changing the default port number (I forgot to state
> that in my email), but also moving the socket dir just to be really
> sure.

If you do a private socket dir, and connect via that, you don't even
have to listen on a TCP port at all.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK