Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> >>
> >> That doesn't mean that this is desktop heap exhaustion though - just
> >> that it can cause the same effect.
> >
> > Right, but it is the only possible server crash cause we have come up
> > with so far.
>
> Understood - I'm just unconvinced it's the cause - aside from the
> point I made earlier about heap exhaustion being very predictable and
> reproducible (which this issue apparently is not), when the server is
> run under the SCM, it creates a logon session for that service alone
> which has it's own heap allocation which is entirely independent of
> the allocation used by any interactive logon sessions.
>
> So unless there's a major isolation bug in Windows, any desktop heap
> usage in an interactive session for one user should have zero effect
> on a non-interactive session for another user.

Well, the only description that we have ever heard that makes sense is
some kind of heap exhaustion, perhaps triggered by a Windows bug that
doesn't properly track heap allocations sometimes.

Of course, the cause might be aliens, but we don't have any evidence of
that either.  :-|

What we do know is that CreateProcess is returning success, and the
child is exiting with 128 no_such_child, and that logging out can
trigger it sometimes.

http://enterprisedb.com