Re: Add column if not exists (CINE) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Takahiro Itagaki
Subject Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kjell Rune Skaaraas <kjella79@yahoo.no> wrote:

> I've been reading the earlier threads at:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/thrd7.php#00252
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-10/thrd4.php#00632
> and I'm not sure I have anything that substantially new to add but:
>
> I saw some indications that this might be a minority opinion,
> well I would like to cast a vote FOR this functionality.

+1 for CINE, just because MySQL supports it.

But before developing, we need to decide how to handle an added object
that has the same name but has different definitions.

Also, developers should consider not only ADD COLUMN but also other
CREATE or ADD commands. The patch will be large, including documentation
adjustments in many places -- it would be hard work.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center