Re: BUG #5391: coding issues displaying server messages - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #5391: coding issues displaying server messages
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Robert Haas escribió:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Victor Vargas <kamusin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Bug reference:      5391
> > Logged by:          Victor Vargas
> > Email address:      kamusin@gmail.com

Hola Kamus,

> > However, if I do a mistake during authentication, the server shows the error
> > message in this way:
> >
> >  ricardo@kadath:~$ psql -U ricardo datos
> >  Contraseña para usuario ricardo:
> >  psql: FATAL: la autentificaci?n password fall? para el usuario
> > <<ricardo>>

The problem here is that the server is recoding the message to pure
ASCII, no accented or otherwise funny chars.  I've seen this sort of
thing before (and in fact it's common to see it in problem reports in
the spanish list), but I've always attributed it to sloppiness in
setting the environment.  Not sure if it's client_encoding or the
console environment that's broken.