Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Takahiro Itagaki
Subject Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Frank Jagusch <frank@jagusch-online.de> wrote:

> The german phone book order has the windows language setting
> de_DE_phoneb an the value 00010407 in the registry. Unfortunately I was
> not able to find a corresponding string for the LC_COLLATE setting.

I cannot find any resources for "de_DE_phoneb" in Web. What is the true
name for it? Locale names should be in <Country>_<Language>.<CodePage>
format on Windows. If you can find the counterpart name for it, you can
initialize PostgreSQL DB with the locale, and <CodePage> or UTF-8 encoding.

> Background: I moved an old application from a borland paradox database
> to postgesql. The speed gain is great but the sorting order isn't the
> usual to the user. I can't change the order by clauses of the select
> statements because they are generated by the borland database engine.

I'm afraid of "de_DE_phoneb" is an original locale implementation in your
old database. If so, PostgreSQL cannot support it because postgres depends
on locale libraries in each platform. (i.e., msvcrt on Windows)

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center