Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data
Date
List pgsql-sql
Στις Wednesday 07 April 2010 11:26:29 ο/η Sergey Konoplev έγραψε:
> On 6 April 2010 21:33, Lee Hachadoorian <lee.hachadoorian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > More generally, what questions should I be asking to help decide what
> > structure makes the most sense? Are there any websites, forums, or books
> > that cover this kind of problem?
>
> Haven't you thought about ltree contrib? From the description of
> ltree: "This module implements a data type ltree for representing
> labels of data stored in a hierarchical tree-like structure".
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/ltree.html

Thats definitely worth checking out.
Personally i didn't follow this apprach cause it seemd a little bit more restricting than doing it my way.
However, for this case especially, it looks like it solves a photograph of the original problem of this therad.
Besides, the authors of this fine contrib module are the same known PostgreSQL contributors
of tsearch2, postgresql FTS, intarray (which i heavily use for the tree representation), etc...

--
Achilleas Mantzios