Re: How long will the query take - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: How long will the query take
Date
List pgsql-general
> I ran a query out of pgAdmin, and (as I expected) it took a long
> time.  In fact, I did not let it finish.  I stopped it after a little
> over an hour.
>
> I'm using 8.4.2 on a Mac with a 2.4GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
>
> My question is: is there a way to tell how close the query is to being
> finished.  It would be a great pity if the query would have finished
> in the 10 seconds after I quit it, but I had no way of telling.
>
> As a postscript, I would add that the query was undoubtedly too
> ambitious.  I have a reduced set version which I will run shortly.
> But I am still curious to know if there is a way to tell how much time
> is left.

No, not really. But you can (and should) run EXPLAIN <your query> to
obtain the execution plan for that query, und you can show us this plan
(and the table-definition for all included tables). Maybe someone is able
to tell you what you can do to speed up your query.

And yes, have you tuned your postgresql.conf?

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99