Re: 9.0 release notes done - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.0 release notes done
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hitoshi Harada wrote:
> 2010/3/21 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> > Hitoshi Harada wrote:

> >> I wonder if we need note a minor compatibility from extending window
> >> function's frame.
> >>
> >> - Change BETWEEN from TYPE_FUNC_NAME_KEYWORD from COL_NAME_KEYWORD
> >
> > I see. ?The change appears to be from "can be function or type name" to
> > "cannot be function or type name", according to
> > misc.c::pg_get_keywords().
> >
> > What error will they see if they do use an invalid name? ?Will it be
> > clear that they just need to rename it?
>
> No, it's only parser error as other syntactic changes.
>
> # 9.0
> regression=# create or replace function between(i int) returns int as
> $$ select $1 + $1 $$ language sql;
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
> LINE 1: create or replace function between(i int) returns int as $$ ...
>
> whereas 8.4 can create it successfully.
>
> This is still ok, as well as 8.4.
>
> regression=# select 1 as between;
>  between
> ---------
>        1
> (1 row)

Oh, I see now.  They keyword BETWEEN had to be changed for window
functions, not that window function behavior would trigger the error.

OK.  We normally don't record changes in the category of keywords in the
release notes unless it is a keyword that we would expect to cause
trouble.  This is particularly true for keywords that are common for
function names but are not well known as SQL keywords.  I don't think
this case has to be recorded in the release notes.  If someone reports
the problem during beta we can revisit the idea.

http://enterprisedb.com
 PG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do