Re: Order of pg_stat_activity timestamp columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Order of pg_stat_activity timestamp columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, the current ordering is definitely historical rather than
> designed, but I'm hesitant to do more than minor tweaking.  Even if we
> think/hope it won't break applications, people are probably used to
> seeing a particular ordering.
>
> I'm not necessarily dead set against it though.  I guess if we were
> to do what you suggest, we'd end up with
>
> identity:
>  datid            | oid                      |
>  datname          | name                     |
>  procpid          | integer                  |
>  usesysid         | oid                      |
>  usename          | name                     |
>  application_name | text                     |
> session:
>  client_addr      | inet                     |
>  client_port      | integer                  |
>  backend_start    | timestamp with time zone |
> transaction:
>  xact_start       | timestamp with time zone |
> query:
>  query_start      | timestamp with time zone |
>  waiting          | boolean                  |
>  current_query    | text                     |
>
> or possibly that plus relocate procpid somewhere else.  Anyone think
> this is sufficiently better to justify possible confusion?

I think most reports have the stable information first, and the more
dynamic information at the end, so reordering it this way does make
sense.

http://enterprisedb.com
 PG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do