Re: OIDs depending data -- how to dump/restore? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From fkater@googlemail.com
Subject Re: OIDs depending data -- how to dump/restore?
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver:

> > AFAIK the dump/restore does not rebuild the original OID
> > values, so all relations built accross OIDs fail.
> >
> > (1)
> > Is there a way to keep the original OID values somehow?
>
> From here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html
>
> -o
> --oids
>
>     Dump object identifiers (OIDs) as part of the data for every table. Use this
> option if your application references the OID columns in some way (e.g., in a
> foreign key constraint). Otherwise, this option should not be used.

Thanks, but the problem is *restoring* OIDs afterwards,
isn't it?  AFAIK the OIDs being restored are not the same
values as the ones being saved, so my internal relations to
those OIDs are all mixed up after a restore.

I'd be happy if someone told me that this was wrong. :-)

 Felix