Re: plpgsql: numeric assignment to an integer variable errors out - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: plpgsql: numeric assignment to an integer variable errors out
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Whatever happened to this patch?
>
> I think we bounced it on the grounds that it would represent a
> fundamental change in plpgsql behavior and break a whole lot of
> applications.  People have been relying on plpgsql's coerce-via-IO
> assignment behavior for ten years.  If you prefer coerce via
> cast conversion, you can get that by writing an explicit cast.
>
> Now it is true that a lot of the uses for that were subsumed when
> we added coerce-via-IO to the native cast capabilities; but I'm
> still quite scared of what this would break, and I don't see any
> field demand for a change.

Thanks.  Sorry to be asking so many questions but it is the only way I
can be sure we have covered everything.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +