Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 12:32 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > pg_stop_backup() doesn't complete until all the WAL segments needed to
> > > restore from the backup are archived. If archive_command is failing,
> > > that never happens.
> >
> > OK, so we need a way out of that cycle if the user is issuing
> > pg_stop_backup because they *already know* that archive_command is
> > failing.  Right now, there's no way out other than a fast shutdown,
> > which is a bit user-hostile.
>
> Hmmm well... changing the archive_command to /bin/true and issuing a HUP
> would cause the command to succeed, but I still think that is over the
> top. I prefer Kevin's solution or some variant thereof:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg01853.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg01907.php

Postgres 9.0 will be the first release to mention /bin/true as a way of
turning off archiving in extraordinary circumstances:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-wal.html

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +