Re: pg_buffercache's usage count - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_buffercache's usage count
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Smith wrote:
> Ben Chobot wrote:
> >On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Ben Chobot wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking at the usage count column of pg_buffercache's info, and I'm confused. Several buffers that supposed
haveLRU values of 5 belong to non-unique indices which supposedly have never been used. As I understand things, that
shouldn'thappen. Am I missing something?

> >(And maybe more to the point, when does the LRU go down in value?)
>
> Usage counts only go up when a page is "pinned" because some backend
> requested that particular block for its work via a call to
> BufferAlloc with the file/block it needs.

BTW the only reason you don't see buffers having a larger "usage" is
that the counters are capped at that value.