Re: Confusion over Python drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> To summarize what I saw on this thread, the primary wishlist of changes
> to it are:
>
> -License change
> -Consider refactoring to better follow standard driver practices, such
> as using PQExecParams
> -Improvement in transaction control to resolve issues that cause idle
> transactions
> -Possible simplifications in how it's implemented async operations, to
> improve robustness/reduce code complexity
> -Confirm/add multi-threaded support
> -Confirm/add support for the most common standard types (such as array)
>
> > PyGreSQL is the oldest, older than DB-API, and so it's DB-API
> > interface seems an afterthought and is untested/underused - eg.
> > it does not support bytea.
> >
> And if Psycopg can't be relicensed happily and/or improved as above, as
> the only other native Python driver PyGreSQL looks like the next
> candidate to build on top of.  Its major issues are:
>
> -Test/complete/refactor for full DB-API 2.0 support
> -Add bytea support
> -Add extension support, perhaps modeled on what Psycopg.
> -Build a COPY extension
> -Confirm/add multi-threaded support
> -Confirm/add support for the most common standard types (such as array)
>
> Any other suggestions before I turn the above into a roadmap page on the
> wiki?

Great summary!  This is what I was hoping for.  One suggestion on the
license issue is that the LGPL seems like the type of license intended
by the author, and I think it is an acceptable license to most client
application programmers.

http://enterprisedb.com