Re: more docs on extending postgres in C - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: more docs on extending postgres in C
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:43:27 +0100
Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 January 2010 15.42:14 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > I'd also appreciate some suggestion about dev environment and
> > best practices on Debian, something that could help me to
> > compile, install, test easily on Debian.
>
> (Disclaimer: Haven't done any postgres related programming so far,
> so this might need adjusting.)
>
> The desciption for package postgresql-server-dev-8.4 includes
>
> [[[
>  This package also contains the Makefiles necessary for building
> add-on modules of PostgreSQL, which would otherwise have to be
> built in the PostgreSQL source-code tree.
> ]]]

I need some babysitting from someone that actually developed
extension on Debian.

The package was already installed, but it seems it provides more
than just the header files.
Now that I know I can build extensions outside pg source tree I'd be
nice I understand how to make it in a kosher way.

If I had to build stuff in the pg source tree I'd just clone a
contrib directory and change the makefile [1]. What am I supposed to
do if I'd like to create a contrib elsewhere (eg.
~/Documents/nfs/projects/ts_extensions)?

I've seen some forward to this list from pgsql-hackers.
Would that list be a better place to ask this kind of things or is
it too elite ;) for newbies?

[1] actually I tried to make in a contrib module dir in pg source
code tree... but unless you run ./configure at the root of the source
tree it fails. So I've to guess that -dev gives you a preconfigured
environment.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it