Re: Re: Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Re: Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 19 January 2010 15:52:25 Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> > Looking at this patch for the commitfest I have a few questions.
>
> So I've touched this patch up a bit:
>
> 1) moved the posix_fadvise call to a new fd.c function
> pg_fsync_start(fd,offset,nbytes) which initiates an fsync without
> waiting on it. Currently it's only implemented with
> posix_fadvise(DONT_NEED) but I want to look into using sync_file_range
> in the future -- it looks like this call might be good enough for our
> checkpoints.
>
> 2) advised each 64k chunk as we write it which should avoid poisoning
> the cache if you do a large create database on an active system.
>
> 3) added the promised but afaict missing fsync of the directory -- i
> think we should actually backpatch this.
Yes, that was a bit stupid from me - I added the fsync for directories which
get recursed into (by not checking if its a file) but not for the uppermost
level.
So all directories should get fsynced right now but the topmost one.

I will review the patch later when I finally will have some time off again...
~4h.

Thanks!

Andres