Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From fkater@googlemail.com
Subject Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Dave Crooke:

> If you don't need that level of consistency for your 8MB blobs, write them
> to plain files named with some kind of id, and put the id in the database
> instead of the blob.

The problem here is that I later need to give access to the
database via TCP to an external client. This client will
then read out and *wipe* those masses of data
asynchronously, while I'll continue to writing into to
database.

Separating the data into an ID value (in the database) and
ordinary binary files (on disk elsewhere) means, that I need
to implement a separate TCP protocol and talk to the client
whenever it needs to read/delete the data. I try to avoid
that extra task. So postgres shall function here as a
communicator, too, not only for saving data to disk.

Thank you.

 Felix