Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:10:53PM +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> Switching to ICU means trading our current inconsistency from platform
> to platform for a different inconsistency which would be better in
> some cases and worse in others.

Or, you can have the cake and eat it too. That is, aim for the end goal
and let people choose what library they want to use for sorting (that
is, extend the meaning of the locale identifier). Patches for this
should be in the archives somewhere. As I recall the reason this was
rejected is that *BSD lack the capability of handling multiple
collation algorithms at all at the libc level (that is, if you don't
just tell people to use ICU in that case).

Mac OS X doesn't have great POSIX locale support but at least they
implemented strcoll_l.

Have a nice day,

Attachment