Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
On Friday 08 January 2010 16:04:27 Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >> Well, I'm for improving the catalogue to provide what people want from
> >> it, but I'm certainly not going to support web pages, mailing lists,
> >> file sharing or the one your forgot, bug tracking as well as
> >> pgFoundry.
> >
> > AFAIK, nobody is using the bug tracking since it appears to be pretty
> > much broken.
>
> Works fine on the projects I've used it on. What's up with it?
>
> >> Given past experience of migration, I can only believe that the least
> >> painful, and most likely to happen option is an upgrade of pgFoundry
> >> on a new, documented VM that the sysadmin team can manage properly.
> >> Trying to get rid of pgFoundry will lead to years of faffing about
> >> while we try to migrate people - if we even can migrate them anywhere
> >> without losing mailing list/tracker history etc.
> >
> > Well, we can simply keep it on life support while we encourage people to
> > use other services.  Then, like GBorg, we can kill it because nothing on
> > it is maintained anymore.
>
> It's been on life support for years. I honestly believe it'll be less
> effort to rebuild it, and then take it off life support as a properly
> managed service, than go through the pain and embarrassment of having
> it rot for years whilst noone does anything about migrations for
> users.

It's already painful/embarrassing in it's current shape, so a little more of
that really shouldn't be our primary concern. But you're right, let's not
pretend that we're really going to migrate people when we wont, just send out
an email now saying that as of Jan 1, 2011, we will be shutting the site down,
and that we encourage all users to move thier projects elsewhere before then.
No waiting, no dragging on; set a deadline, follow through, end of story.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net