Re: Status of plperl inter-sp calling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Bunce
Subject Re: Status of plperl inter-sp calling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:41:46AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Next question: what do we do if a direct-called function calls
> > return_next()? That at least must surely take effect in the caller's
> > context - the callee won't have anywhere to stash the the results at all.
>
> Whatever do you mean by "take effect in the caller's context"?  I surely
> hope it's not "return the row to the caller's caller, who likely isn't
> expecting anything of the kind".
>
> I suspect Tim will just answer that he isn't going to try to
> short-circuit the call path for set-returning functions.

For 8.5 I don't think I'll even attempt direct inter-plperl-calls.

I'll just do a nicely-sugared wrapper around spi_exec_prepared().
Either via import, as I outlined earlier, or Garick Hamlin's suggestion
of attributes - which is certainly worth exploring.

Tim.