Re: Column privileges and Hibernate (SOLVED) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Column privileges and Hibernate (SOLVED)
Date
Re: Column privileges and Hibernate (SOLVED)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
* Craig Ringer (craig@postnewspapers.com.au) wrote:
> The issue with column privs is that Hibernate lists all columns, even
> ones it hasn't set or altered, in the INSERT and UPDATE statements it
> issues. Column privileges are checked based on the INSERT or UPDATE
> column list, not the actual values being changed, so even:
[excellent description cut]

This begs the question of if this is something PG should just allow
rather than denying the update.  Can you clarify exactly what hibernate
does?  Does it do:

#1: update x set col1 = col1 where pk = 'a';

Or does it do:

#2: update x set col1 = 'abc' where pk = 'a';

(where 'abc' happens to be the value of col1 in the database for
pk = 'a')?

It might be possible to ignore/optimize/whatever #1, perhaps, but
there's really nothing we could do about #2.  If it's #1, do other
databases which support column-level privs ignore those, or do they deny
the update like PG does today?

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment