Re: pgsql: Fix netmask handling in inet_minmax_multi_ops - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix netmask handling in inet_minmax_multi_ops
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 3/20/23 10:28, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Fix netmask handling in inet_minmax_multi_ops
>
> When calculating distance in brin_minmax_multi_distance_inet(), the
> netmask was applied incorrectly. This results in (seemingly) incorrect
> ordering of values, triggering an assert.
>
> For builds without asserts this is mostly harmless - we may merge other
> ranges, possibly resulting in slightly less efficient index. But it's
> still correct and the greedy algorithm doesn't guarantee optimality
> anyway.
>
> Backpatch to 14, where minmax-multi indexes were introduced.
>
> Reported by Dmitry Dolgov, investigation and fix by me.
>
> Reported-by: Dmitry Dolgov

Correction - the issue was reported by Robins Tharakan, I got confused
while writing the commit message. I don't know if this issue is to be
mentioned in release notes (considering it mostly affects just assert
builds), but if we do we should the correct name.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company