Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations
Date
Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I agree that pulling pg_migrator into contrib seems pretty sensible.
> > What I want to make sure we're on the same page about is which
> > versions the 8.5 pg_migrator will allow you to upgrade from and to.  I
> > think we should at least support 8.3 -> 8.5 and 8.4 -> 8.5.  If you're
> > saying we don't need to support 8.3 -> 8.4 any more once 8.5 comes
> > out, I'm probably OK with that, but perhaps we should try to get a few
> > more opinions before setting that policy in stone.
>
> If we can do that reasonably (which might well be the case), I'd be for
> it.  What I'm objecting to is what I take to be Bruce's plan of
> supporting 8.3 -> 8.4 and 8.4 -> 8.5 with the same pg_migrator sources.
> The stuff we're talking about doing in this thread is going to cause
> those two cases to diverge rather drastically.  8.3 -> 8.5 and 8.4 ->
> 8.5 may be close enough together to be reasonable to support in one
> set of source code.

Basically there isn't much extra work to go from 8.3 to 8.4 compared to
8.3 to 8.5.  Now, if could support only 8.4 to 8.5 I could remove some
code, but that seems counterproductive.

The other problem with moving to /contrib is that I can't put out
pg_migrator updates independently of the main community release, which
could be bad.

I am glad some people think pg_migrator is ready for /contrib.

http://enterprisedb.com