Re: Extracting SQL from logs in a usable format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rory Campbell-Lange
Subject Re: Extracting SQL from logs in a usable format
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/12/09, Chris Ernst (cernst@esoft.com) wrote:
> I have a project where I need to be able to capture every query from a
> production system into a file such that I can "replay" them on a staging
> system.  Does such a thing already exist or should I start writing my
> own log parser?

I'm sure there are a number of log replay systems already in existence.
Perhaps you could use Londiste, and introduce a lag to the replication
process if it is required?
http://skytools.projects.postgresql.org/doc/londiste.ref.html#toc17

A very simple way of doing this is to log all of the SQL statements by
setting the postgresql.conf parameter log_min_duration_statement to 0.
You can then easily parse out the SQL statements from the log file.
I have done this before quite successfully when wishing to replay a long
set of SQL statements to test un upgrade of a Postgresql server.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
Director