Re: Automatic truncation of character values & casting to the type of a column type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Automatic truncation of character values & casting to the type of a column type
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:24:28AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Bailey <jgbailey@gmail.com> writes:
> > If s was automatically truncated, the insert would succeed, but it
> > fails with a "value too long" error.
>
> Oh, I thought the failure was the behavior you wanted.  There's
> no automatic truncation here --- perhaps putting an exception
> block around it would be the way to go?

I think the OP wants to be able to use the "%TYPE" magic in more places
than the grammar currently accepts.  For example, so that you can use it
in a CAST expression as per some of the examples.

Would using DOMAINs be a better alternative?  It certainly works now.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/