Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

On Thursday 10 December 2009 23:01:08 Michael Clemmons wrote:
> Im not sure what that means ppl in my office with slower hd speeds using
>  8.4 can create a db in 2s vs my 8-12s.
- Possibly their config is different - they could have disabled the "fsync"
parameter which turns the database to be not crashsafe anymore but much faster
in some circumstances.

- Possibly you have much data in your template1 database?
You could check whether

CREATE DATABASE speedtest TEMPLATE template1; takes more time than
CREATE DATABASE speedtest TEMPLATE template0;.

You should issue both multiple times to ensure caching on the template
database doesnt play a role.

>  Could using md5 instead of ident do it?
Seems unlikely.
Is starting psql near-instantaneus? Are you using "createdb" or are you
issuing "CREATE DATABASE ..."?

Andres