Re: Cannot allocate memory for output buffer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Cannot allocate memory for output buffer
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 05:55:30PM -0500, Peter Erickson wrote:
> Thanks. Out of curiosity, if memory exhaustion was the problem, any idea
> why the task manager would show that I'm only using 1.2GB of the 3GB of
> memory?

Note that what usually kills you first on 32-bit systems is that you
want 250MB of *contiguous* memory. Depending on how the program is
started and if you have memory map randomization, it becomes entirely
possible to have more than 1GB free, yet no blocks big enough to hold
250MB together.

64-bit systems don't suffer from this problem, the address space is so
large it's just not an issue.

Have a nice day,

Attachment