Re: Experimental patch: generating BKI revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Experimental patch: generating BKI revisited
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yep, it's only on UNIX-ish systems where Perl isn't necessarily
> >> required, and realistically I think it is probably present on nearly
> >> all of those, too.
>
> > Exactly.
>
> Yeah.  Although the project policy is that we don't require Perl to
> build on Unix, there was a bug in the makefiles that made it effectively
> required, and nobody noticed for several years.  I don't think it would
> be a hard sell to change that policy if we got a significant benefit out
> of it.  (Depending on non-core Perl modules is a totally different thing
> though.)

Well, this is a pretty fortunate turn of events.  I had two paragraphs
in my original email that I edited out ("... so I'm not going to say
more") on how to workaround the lack of Perl.  If we're all OK now on
requiring some basic Perl installation then all the better.  I certainly
have no trouble with it.