Re: Experimental patch: generating BKI revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Experimental patch: generating BKI revisited
Date
Re: Experimental patch: generating BKI revisited
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane escribi�:
>> Yeah.  Although the project policy is that we don't require Perl to
>> build on Unix, there was a bug in the makefiles that made it effectively
>> required, and nobody noticed for several years.  I don't think it would
>> be a hard sell to change that policy if we got a significant benefit out
>> of it.  (Depending on non-core Perl modules is a totally different thing
>> though.)

> Well, this is a pretty fortunate turn of events.  I had two paragraphs
> in my original email that I edited out ("... so I'm not going to say
> more") on how to workaround the lack of Perl.  If we're all OK now on
> requiring some basic Perl installation then all the better.  I certainly
> have no trouble with it.

Although actually, we could still keep that policy if Perl is needed to
build .bki files --- we just have to build those files in distprep and
ship them as part of tarballs.  It's already the case that you need Perl
to build from a CVS pull, it's only tarball users who don't need it.