Re: Application name patch - v3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Application name patch - v3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Dave,

On Thursday 22 October 2009 15:07:13 Dave Page wrote:
> Updated patch attached. Per discussion, this:
> - Changes the envvar name to PGAPPNAME
> - Removes support for setting application_name in the startup packet,
> and instead sends an explicit SET command as part of the connection
> setup in PQconnectPoll. In order to avoid adding to the
> application-visible connection states, this is overloaded on the
> CONNECTION_SETENV state which is only used in the v2 protocol at
> present and seems like an ideal fit for such a similar use.
I had some free time so I started to take a look at that patch:

+ PostgresPollingStatusType
+ pqAppnamePoll(PGconn *conn)
+             case APPNAME_STATE_OPTION_WAIT:
+                 else
+                 {
+                     /* Query finished, so we're done */
+                     conn->setenv_state = APPNAME_STATE_IDLE;
+                     return PGRES_POLLING_OK;
+                 break;
Shouldnt that set appname_state?

The attached patch fixes this and also a couple occurances of trailing
whitespace.

What about pg_dump/psql setting fallback_application_name?

Andres