Re: Manual vacs 5x faster than autovacs? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Wayne Beaver
Subject Re: Manual vacs 5x faster than autovacs?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hmm, looks like I've been myth-busted here.

$ top | grep -E '29343|31924|29840|PID'; echo
29840 postgres  15   0 2150m 203m 194m S    0  2.5   0:00.59 postmaster
29343 postgres  15   0 2137m 360m 356m S    1  4.5   0:00.92 postmaster
31924 postgres  15   0 2135m  73m  70m S    1  0.9   0:00.44 postmaster

So my claims of resource-usage appear incorrect.

I'd seen autovacs running for hours and had mis-attributed this to
growing query times on those tables  - my thought was that "shrinking"
the tables "more quickly" could make them "more-optimized", more
often. Sounds like I could be chasing the wrong symptoms, though.

wb