Re: I need information about PG-Day - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: I need information about PG-Day
Date
Re: I need information about PG-Day
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Thanks a lot for the support, I will prepare the PG-Day for the next
> > year 2010.
>
> Might I suggest doing a general Carribean PGDay?
>
> The folks in Cuba really want to hold a PGDay, but we can't send an
> American PostgreSQL Hacker to speak if they did.  If the PGDay in the DR

I don't think that is true.  I was invited to speak in Cuba two years
ago but had a schedule conflict, but I did research at that time and
found that US citizens can attend professional conferences in Cuba:

    http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/ascii/cuba.txt

    2. Professional meetings organized by an international professional
    organization

    Full-time professionals are authorized to engage in Cuba travel-related
    transactions to attend professional meetings or conferences in Cuba
    pursuant to section 515.564(a)(2) of the Regulations, provided that (1)
    the meeting or conference is organized by an international professional
    organization, institution, or association that regularly sponsors
    meetings or conferences in other countries; (2) the organization,
    institution, or association sponsoring the meeting or conference is not
    headquartered in the United States unless it has been specifically
    licensed to sponsor the meeting; (3) the purpose of the meeting or
    conference is not the promotion of tourism in Cuba or other commercial
    activities involving Cuba that are inconsistent with the Regulations;
    and (4) the meeting or conference is not intended primarily to foster
    production of any biotechnological products.

In fact, US citizens don't need any special permission to go --- they
just need to have documents proving they have followed the law if asked
later.  There are only a few flights from the US to Cuba --- one is from
New York City.

I would be glad to speak in Cuba if asked.