Re: Donwload location for PostgreSQL version 8.2.7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Donwload location for PostgreSQL version 8.2.7
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 05:43:30PM +0530, Anand wrote:
> As i need to update the PostgreSQL version 8.2.6 with higher versions.
> But in release notes its mentioned that upgrading the PostgreSQL version
> 8.2.6 is as follows:
> PostgreSQL version 8.2.6-->8.2.7-->8.2.11-->8.2.14

AFAIK that's just a recommendation to read the release notes to see
what's been fixed and what potential problems you may have been
experiencing.  Unless somebody else yells, I'd just go straight to
8.2.14 and do the REINDEX if it's needed.

It's not going to hurt doing a reindex even if you don't have any GiST
or Hash indexes, btree indexes can become unbalanced (i.e. take more
space than is needed) in some rare situations and a rebuild won't hurt.
You can run:

  SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size(regclass 'indexname'));

to see how much space is taken by the index before and after to see if
you want to see if you're hitting this.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/