Re: design, ref integrity and performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: design, ref integrity and performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:17:59 +0000
Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I've to generate unique password and associate them with emails.
> > Association with emails is just to mail the password, email +
> > password aren't "the password", just the password is.

> > So a bunch of emails may be associated with the same password.

> > So there are 2 kind of passwords:
> > - shared, multiple use
> > - individual (they could be multiple or single use)

> So are you saying I login using *just* a password, not using my
> email as a user-name?

yes

> How do you know who is logging in and what does it mean for the
> password to be shared?

I don't care who "logged in".
Shared just mean several people could use a resource providing the
same password.
They are a sort of "promotional codes". Some of them can be shared,
I don't mind if people give them to others provided they let our
service be known by others.
Then there are unique passwords on which we may or may not check if
they are used by multiple users of the site... but that's another
problem.

Association between email and password is just meant to build up a
queue for mailing and there is no uniqueness constraint on
(password, email) pair.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo