Re: Procedure for feature requests? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Procedure for feature requests?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:03:38AM +0000, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> >Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> >> "generate_series(A, B, C)" can also
> >> be written as "A + generate_series(0, (C - B) / C) * C"
> >
> > If you can figure out the limit then it seems easy,
> > though I'm not sure how you'd do that.
>
> What limit?

Sorry, I was calling the second parameter to generate_series the "limit".

Calculating "(C - B) / C" isn't easy for timestamps, whereas it's easy
for dates.  I believe this is why there's a specific version for the
former but not the latter.

> > Hum, now I'll have to see which is "better".
>
> Which of my mails made you think that I was not satisfied
> with PostgreSQL's current performance?

Nothing, it's was my personal interest to see which was faster.

> "generate_series(DATE, DATE)" would just be syntactic sugar,
> and I like sweets.

We all do, but in software it's got to be balanced against the overhead
of maintaining support for these functions.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/