Re: Hot Standby on git - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dan Colish
Subject Re: Hot Standby on git
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:45:17AM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
> On 09/26/2009 10:04 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >>If you think there's
> >>something useful I could do, let me know and I'll take a look.
> >I feel like I need a better way of unit testing new code. Some of the
> >code in the patch is to handle corner cases, so recreating them is
> >fairly hard. It is a nagging feeling that I am missing some knowledge
> >here and would welcome some insight, or research, into better ways of
> >doing general case unit testing.
>
> You might try and steal ideas from EasyMock / PowerMock - but not
> sure how well the ideas map to C.
>
> Generally it means allowing the functions to be called from a "mock"
> environment, where subroutine calls that might be called are stubbed
> out to return sample data that would simulate your scenario. Object
> oriented languages that require every object to provide an interface
> where most object methods can be overridden are more ideal for
> performing this sort of test.
>
> I rarely ever see this sort of stuff in FOSS projects, and never
> that I can remember in FOSS C projects. It's not easy, though.
>
> I assume you are doing it through code changing right now.
> Commenting out lines, replacing them with others, etc?
>
> Cheers,
> mark
>
> --
> Mark Mielke<mark@mielke.cc>

There are a variety of projects dedicated to creating C unit test
frameworks. I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I have heard
good things about check and cunit. Here's a link I found with a longer
list of frameworks. http://www.opensourcetesting.org/unit_c.php

--
--Dan