Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:55:28PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> So the behavior of the "char" type is anomalous in this regard?  Other
> character-based types behave like varchar (which has the behavior I
> would expect here)?  That is encouraging.  Why isn't the behavior of
> "char" in this regard considered a bug to be fixed?

I think there are lots of implicit casts going on that muddy the water
with respect to what's going on at a type level.  Things get promoted to
TEXT easily in PG.

I posted a patch in this thread:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20090902091654.GL5407@samason.me.uk

--