Re: $Body$ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: $Body$
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 04:13:18PM -0700, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> This is the idea david:
>
> Why in the constant string we use the tag and we do not use the tag
> in the BODY?
>
> In other wrods, why we write it $BODY$ and does not write it as
> $q$BODY$q$ or as $$BODY$$?

The string BODY in $BODY$ has no syntactical significance.  You could
just as easily use $$ or $supercalifragilisticexpialidocious$.  The
only place where the string inside matters is when you're nesting
dollar quoted structures.

> Also why in the single-quote syntax, each backslash will be written
> as four backslashes?  While this will not be needed in the
> dolar-quoted string?

Dollar quoting was specifically invented so that people would not have
to use torrents of backslashes and/or single quotes.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!