Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Implementation-side, it requires a new catalog (pg_settings), with the
> following columns:

So, I've come up with the attached patch.  It does not have the new
command yet, so you can do ALTER USER and ALTER DATABASE and it works,
but there's no way to set user-and-database-specific settings, short of
INSERT into the catalog.  Apart from that it works nicely.

I'm just posting in case somebody has thoughts on the UI part of it.

Other things that need fixed:

- need to figure out locking for roles; this stuff must be synchronized
  with role drop
- pg_shadow and pg_roles need a join to obtain settings
- two regression tests need their expected file updated
- catalog version bump

Attachment