Re: DELETE syntax on JOINS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: DELETE syntax on JOINS
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Which "other database systems"?  Only MySQL?  If it is MySQL-only, we
> > > are unlikely to add it.
> >
> > The SQL standard does not support this syntax.  They would have you put
> > the joins in a subselect (which is often not enough because then you
> > can't use outer joins).
>
> So the problem is that our DELETE ... USING does not allow ANSI join
> syntax?  Can that be added?

I suspect that the reason MySQL has this syntax is because for a long time
they didn't have proper foreign keys and referential integrity.

With proper foreign keys and ON DELETE CASCADE, why would supporting
such syntax even be necessary?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com