Re: pg_autovacuum exceptions question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_autovacuum exceptions question
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Bowlby wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> In relation to pg_autovacuum, I have a quick question, that I can't seem
> to find an answer to anywhere. I use a temporary database that only
> exists when certain scripts are running, and is dropped when the scripts
> are complete. In that process, I have seen pg_autovacuum periodically
> examine that database, it really is not necessary for it to do so.
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to prevent pg_autovacuum from doing
> that via an exception list? Such that I can insert the name of this
> database into a system catalog, or even a string entry in the
> postgresql.conf file and not have that database examined?

I don't think you can disable autovacuum for individual databases, but
in any case the check should be fairly quick and it should bail out
without doing much.

If we wanted to support this feature, the way to do it would be to add
an option in pg_database or something like that, not the config file.