Re: mail alert - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: mail alert
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2009-08-12, Jan Verheyden <jan.verheyden@uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> > --_000_E30C7040DE22624185BAD4093190B54437BE5DB4A9EX2007MBX2uzk_
> >
> > It's on Windows
> >

> I'd go with notify and a listener written in C using c-client to send
> emails, but only because I've used those before.

I wouldn't write it in C but rather Perl or Python, but whatever suits
your fancy should work (Visual Basic anyone?).  The advantages to using
a listener program instead of doing it in a trigger or something like
that are:

- transaction semantics are kept; you don't send an email only to find
out your transaction has been rolled back for whatever reason, and then
send a second email when the transaction is replayed

- you don't block the database system just because your mail server is
down

- the email can be sent on whatever schedule fits the listener program

- the listener client can run elsewhere, not only in the database server

- any further external processing can take place at that time, without
bothering the database server

- other stuff I don't recall ATM