Re: ECPG support for struct in INTO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: ECPG support for struct in INTO list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:48:33AM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> Which isn't exactly a good programming habit.

I couldn't agree more.

> In the above code local, in-scope variables are also replaced
> with ECPG_informix_set_var() and _get_var() calls.
> Totally unnecessary, or totally necessary even in non-compatible
> mode, depending on which leg I stand on. If you move the
> struct/union unrolling into adjust_informix() and handle arrays,
> ECPGdump_a_struct() won't be needed then.

Yeah, right, and you also add this hack to all applications. No.

> Because that example contradicts all sensible programming habits.
> (Well, what is "sensible" is different between people, so don't take it
> personal.)

Hey, don't blame me! Informix uses this feature to some extend, this is why it
got implemented. If you look into the source code you will see this:
 * This breaks standard and leads to some very dangerous programming.        * Since they do, we have to work around
andaccept their syntax as well.        * But we will do so ONLY in Informix mode.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes@jabber.org