Re: Alpha releases: How to tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date
Re: Alpha releases: How to tag  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 05:19:16PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Monday 03 August 2009 22:52:55 David Fetter wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, blocker number one for that is that pg_migrator is not
> > > even in the PostgreSQL CVS repository, but is more like an
> > > endorsed third-party product.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure that pg_migrator should be tied to releases
> > of PostgreSQL, given what it does.  Or did you mean that it's not
> > been given the same scrutiny that the PostgreSQL code base has?
>
> Well, how to you expect to mandate that all patches come with
> upgrade support if the PostgreSQL software proper does not contain
> any upgrade support in the first place, because pg_migrator is
> maintained elsewhere.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that pg_migrator (or
whatever actually does this) needs to be an official PostgreSQL
project in order for us to be able to require that people use it.  For
what it's worth, I agree.

Is it strictly necessary that its release cycles match exactly those
of the database engine, or would it be OK for it to release as needed,
not triggering a major PostgreSQL release?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!