Re: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From daveg
Subject Re: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:21:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> writes:
> > Over the weekend I ran 40 restores of Milwaukee County's production
> > data using Friday's snapshot with and without the patch.  I alternated
> > between patched and unpatched.  It appears that this latest version is
> > slightly slower for our production database on the same machine and
> > configuration where the previous patch appeared to be 1% to 2% faster
> > than unpatched (although I had fewer samples of that).
>
> I think we can conclude that for this particular test case, the effects
> of the patch are pretty much masked by noise.  I definitely see no way
> that the latest version of the patch could really be slower than the
> original; it has the same job-scheduling behavior and strictly less
> list-munging overhead.  Now the patch could be slower than unpatched
> as a result of different job-scheduling behavior ... but there's no
> evidence here of a consistently measurable benefit or loss from that.
>
> IIRC daveg was volunteering to do some tests with his own data; maybe
> we should wait for those results.

I have run extensive tests with three trials of each configuration on two
hosts with a variety of db sizes from 3GB to 142GB. These just finished,
and I will send a more detailed summary later, but at the moment I don't
see any significant difference between the patched and vanilla pg_restore.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869