How to retry when connection has been closed? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Herouth Maoz
Subject How to retry when connection has been closed?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Good day.

We are upgrading a legacy system from Sybase to Postgres. In one of the
modules, we wish, if an SQLException is caught, to close and reopen the
connection and retry - but only if the cause of the Exception is a dropped
connection. The original developer of the code implemented this by searching
for the substrings "Broken pipe" or "Connection already closed" in the
exception message.

Is there a more elegant way to find out whether the connection has been
dropped from within the catch clause?

And if not, I assume the above substrings are no longer pertinent - what
messages in PostgreSQL indicate a dropped connection?

Thank you,
Herouth