Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date
List pgsql-hackers
KaiGai,

* KaiGai Kohei (kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp) wrote:
> Please note that all we need to focus on is not pg_xxx_aclcheck() routines
> in other words.

I agree, there may be other things which need to move to aclchk.c, and
that routine is a good example of something which would be appropriate
to move, abstract, and provide an SELinux hook for, in aclchk.c.

> The example is not dramatically different from the others, indeed.
> But, this code implicitly assume the database superuser can do anyhting,
> so the necessary checks are omitted from the code (because they always
> return "allowed").

Yes, I realize that's a problem.  I don't know that it's a problem which
has to be addressed in the first round, but I do believe we will get
there.

> I think what I should do on the next is ...
> - To check up whether it is really possible to implement SELinux's model.
> - To describe the list of the security functions in the new abstraction layer.
> - To discuss the list of permission at:
>   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SEPostgreSQL_Development#Mandatory_access_controls

That sounds like a good approach.  As we define the security functions
to go into the abstraction layer, I would also say we should identify
the exact pieces of existing code which are going to move.
Thanks,
    Stephen