Re: Repeated Query is much slower in PostgreSQL8.2.4 than DB2 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Repeated Query is much slower in PostgreSQL8.2.4 than DB2 9.1
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thursday 16 July 2009 11:46:18 ning wrote:
> I'm sorry, they are in milliseconds, not seconds.
> The time used is quite same to the result of "explain analyze select
> ...." I pasted above,
> which was " Total runtime: 0.479 ms".
Yea. Unfortunately that time does not including planning time. If you work
locally on the server using psql you can use '\timing' to make psql output
timing information.

If I interpret those findings correcty the execution is approx. as fast as DB2,
only DB2 is doing automated plan caching while pg is not.

If it _really_ is necessary that this is that fast, you can prepare the query
like I showed.

Andres