BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Gould
Subject BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4920
Logged by:          Michael Gould
Email address:      mgould@intermodalsoftwaresolutions.net
PostgreSQL version: all
Operating system:   Windows 2008 Server
Details:

I can see why people use case sensitive searches but it would be nice if
there was either a setup option in the init program or a encoding and locale
that would allow for case insenstive searches without having to use a
non-standard Ilike search.  In out database for example, we have no text
fields that need a case sensitive index or search.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use this feature.  I remember years
ago I was told that Sybase ASE was case sensitive only but the dba found a
encoding and locale that allowed for case insensitive searches.

Unless Postgres doesn't have a performance problem with upper(column) =
upper(column) then I would think it would be avantageous to support case
insensitive searches in which indexes could also be case insensitive.

Best Regards

Michael Gould